Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Lessons in fussy eaters...

My son has not gained much weight in about 10 months.  In fact he weighs about the same as he did at 8 months old.  Then he dropped a little weight when he got sick, and then he gained a little back.  He was born in the 97th percentile, and now is about the 10-20th percentile.  I'm not complaining about the plateau let me tell you.  I was more than worried about how I was going to carry such a big boy if he didn't start walking soon!  Not that walking means they don't get carried....Yes I'm talking to you Sarah Tapp ;)

My boy adores breastfeeding.  He would would choose to breastfeed over food any day.  However, this obviously is not helping much in the weight gain category, nor does it make for an overly happy mom :) So I have been trying my hardest to come up with ways to get him to eat without making it a battle.  I chose to follow the Baby Led Weaning style of introduction to solids with the idea that the child knows when they are full and will stop eating accordingly.  It's all about trusting them to know their bodies.  It's a challenging philosophy to follow at times, especially when your little one is not gaining weight.

Today my gorgeous friend and her equally handsome little boy came over to play and I decided to prep some snacks for them with this handy multi portions tray.  I was previously using a muffin tin but this takes up much less room.   I highly recommend it.  It was actually sent to me by my Mom from the US to use for freezing puree's.  Cooper loves having options to pick from, and it makes it more fun for him.  I've also been doing lots of smoothies, adding peas and wheatgerm to boost the nutritive value.  He looooooves smoothies.  Moving all of his toys out of the dining room seems to have helped as well.  Less distractions.

A couple days ago I made a star sandwich for him, which he loved too.  It's fun being creative, and seeing that it makes him more interested in eating the food.  

If you have any ideas or suggestions, please throw them at me!

No comments:

Post a Comment