Thursday, February 9, 2012

Bedtime Circus

Tonight my son pretended to be a tiger at bedtime.  Our normal routine is to lay down on the double mattress that is located on his floor, and he nurses to sleep.  Yes I still nurse him to sleep at 16 months, and the world has not ended. Imagine that.  But that's another story.

Tonight he crawled around the bed, crawling over me and back again.  All the while saying 'ROAR' in a really cute, not at all terrifying voice. Some tiger he is. Then he crawled over to the window and hid behind the curtains. Nights like these are a little tough.  I'm not gonna lie.  I was frustrated, and I really REALLY wanted him to go to sleep.  I'd just gotten back from a run, during which his Dad had tried (unsuccessfully obviously) to put him down.  He was tired, I was stinky, but I knew taking a shower would only upset him.  After 20 min we came out of the room and he started playing on his own.  The same child who 30 min before was cracking it every time the magnetic train set didn't stick together, was happily playing as if nothing had happened.  It's as if 20 min of playing in his room rejuvenated him completely.  So he played for a bit and I tried again later.  Eventually he laid down and went to sleep, about an hour and a half later.  If I had tried to do ANYTHING else besides sit beside him he would have fallen apart.  It's the waiting that really makes me crazy.

I read on FB today a post from the Wonder Weeks page that in their research they found that babies who don't sleep as much are actually very gifted.  They want to experience the world, and don't allow themselves to sleep.  A child that is very much open to experiencing this world has more to sort out in their head.  Result:  much more clingy and less sleep.

All I know is, my child better win a freakin Nobel Prize.


No comments:

Post a Comment